French Camp Academy: A History of the Academy is a Thesis created by E. V. Brown Patterson in August of 1949 for submittal to the faculty of Mississippi State College, at Starkville, in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Degree of Master of Science in the Department of History.
E. V. Patterson and her husband, Thomas Arthur Patterson lived for a number of years in Kosciusko and both were teachers and/or administrators through out their respective careers. The Thesis was found in the home of Edna Brown of Ebenezer, Holmes County, Mississippi, when she passed away in 1979. Edna Brown was E. V. Brown Patterson's sister. An inscription on the inside cover reads; "To Edna".
The Thesis was submitted, for inclusion on the Attala County web site, by Francine Brown Ross of Lafayette, Lousiana. E. V. Brown Patterson was Francine's aunt and Edna Brown was Francine's grandmother.
The Thesis contains considerable information about the early history of the area surrounding French Camp, which is located in Choctaw County, on the border between Attala and Choctaw Counties. It also includes an interesting and informative history of the French Camp Academy. French Camp Academy was established as a female high school in October 31, 1884. Today it is a thriving Christian boarding school for young people who came from broken or troubled backgrounds. The Academy provides a safe and stable environment for young people in crisis to live and learn. The French Camp Academy web site can be found here.